CAT Syllabus changes with each CAT exam. Scan the CAT syllabus now and check the topics which are not duly prepared. The overview of section-wise CAT syllabus is as below:
CAT Syllabus for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension section of CAT 2019 Exam
Common Admission Test (CAT) exam Syllabus for VARC section in CAT 2018 is divided into 2 parts. The 1st part of CAT 2018 syllabus covers questions based on Reading Comprehension passages and the 2nd part of CAT 2018 exam syllabus on VARC is based on questions on different topics on Verbal Ability
Number of Questions: 34 with 24 MCQs and 10 Non-MCQs
Reading Comprehension (RC)
- Share of Reading Comprehension in VARC section of CAT exam: 70%
- Total RC passages: 5
- Topics on which RC passages are based: Current affairs; Social and Economic issues; Literature; Science & Culture; Abstract topics; history & fiction.
- The topics are only indicative and not exhaustive. There is no clear cut definition of RC topics in CAT exam syllabus. RC passage on any topic under the Sun can be placed in CAT 2017 exam.
- Total questions based on RC passages: 24
- Type of RC passages: 3 Long and 2 shorter
- Division of questions: 6 questions based on each long passage and 3 questions based on each shorter passage
- Type of Questions: All of MCQ type with a penalty of 1/3rd negative marking
- The format of questions: Questions based on information in RC passage; explanation of the words & phrases as used in the passage; In context of the passage –True/false statements; Author’s view on various issues raised in the RC passage; Inference from the passage; main idea of RC passage; Purpose of the RC passage
- Length of RC passages: CAT exam has 3 longer RC passages of around 900 words; shorter passages are of around 600 words in CAT exam syllabus as reflected in last 3 years.
- Past trends of topics: Status of Languages in 2115; Education System; Sustainable Economic Development; Anthropology /Excruciating Rituals & Reasons; Govt. Definition of Poverty and treatment of Household work
Part-2: Verbal Ability
- Share of Verbal Ability (VA) questions in VARC section of CAT exam: 30%
- Total VA based questions: 10
Topics on which Verbal Ability questions are based:
- Essence of short paragraph/Para summary - (3-4 questions);
- Jumbled Paragraphs (3-4 questions)
- Jumbled paragraphs with out of context sentence (2-3)
- The topics are only indicative and not exhaustive.
- Type of Questions: All of Non-MCQ type with No penalty for the wrong answer
- The format of questions: Essence of paragraph questions are based on around 5-6 sentences; questions on Jumbled paragraphs and out of context jumbled paragraphs have 4 -5 jumbled sentences which are to be placed in a coherent manner. The out of context sentence has to be picked out.
Other questions on VARC in CAT 2018
Till three years ago, the following type of questions also formed the part of CAT exam syllabus since these topics are still the part of the syllabus for CAT exam, it is possible you may see these questions again in CAT 2018:
- English Usage & Sentence Correction;
- Fill in the blanks;
- Vocabulary-Usage in context
Section-2: CAT Syllabus 2018 on DILR
CAT exam Syllabus for DILR section in CAT 2018 is available in 2 parts – Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning. The 1st part of CAT 2018 syllabus covers questions based on Data Interpretation (DI) and the 2nd part of CAT 2018 exam syllabus on DILR is based on questions on different topics on Logical Reasoning.
Number of Questions: 32 divided into 24 MCQs and 8 Non- MCQs
Sectional weightage in CAT Syllabus: 32%
Part-1: CAT Syllabus for Data Interpretation (DI)
- Share of DI questions in DILR section of CAT exam: 50%
- Total DI questions: 16
- Number of MCQs: 12
- Number of Non-MCQs: 4
- Topics on which DI questions are based: Data Tables, Data charts, Bar diagrams, Pie charts, Graphs,
- Data analysis and comparison among others
- Questions are in the set of 4 questions. Questions on interpretation and analysis of data based on text, tables, graphs (line, area), charts (column, bar, pie), Venn diagram, are asked. Data could be given in the form of tables, charts or graphs. In this section, it is tested that how candidates can interpret the given data and answer questions based on it.
- Past trend of topics: Table (Student Pass percentages over 5 years; Comprehension – Marks in Two sections of papers; Films, Launch, Completion, Release, and Profits; Table on Consumption of Veg and Non-Veg Protein; Happiness Index: 4 questions based on Table; Kids Learning in Rural Areas: Data table based 4 questions; Flight operation
Part-2: CAT exam Syllabus for Logical Reasoning (LR)
- Share of LR questions in DILR section of CAT exam: 50%
- Total LR questions in CAT syllabus for 2018 exam: 16
- Number of MCQs: 12
- Number of Non-MCQs: 4
- Topics covered in CAT test syllabus 2018 on which LR questions are based: Set theory, binary logic, seating arrangement, logical sequence & mainly puzzles from no specific topic.
- CAT entrance exam syllabus defines that questions in the LR section can be in the set of 4 questions.
- Past trend of topics in CAT IIM Syllabus: Distribution/Arrangement; Venn Diagrams; Arrangement of files in folders; Students using various Trains and the fares for the same; Seating Arrangement; Direction sense for Cars; Ordering items; Burgers/Fries/ Ice Cream
Section-3: CAT 2018 Syllabus on Quantitative Ability (QA)
Section Highlight: CAT exam syllabus 2018 for Quant section is very wide. Quantitative Ability (Quant) is the 3rd and last section in the revamped CAT exam pattern. It carries 34% weight in the CAT exam. CAT syllabus for Quant is vast and covers everything in Mathematics that you may or may not expect. CAT exam syllabus on Quant is based on questions on different topics on Arithmetic, Algebra, Modern Math, Geometry, Mensuration, trigonometry among others.
Number of Questions: 34.
The past 2 years trend in CAT exam syllabus for Quant shows that there are 24 to 27 MCQs and 7 to 10 Non-MCQs in Quant section of CAT exam.
As you can see, I have further divided the Quant part, into 5 sup-parts:
- Number System
- Modern Math
Major topics covered in CAT 2018 syllabus for Quant are:
Total questions: 34
- Number of MCQs: 24 to 27
- Number of Non-MCQs: 7 to 10
- Number of questions in Arithmetic: 10 to 12
- More emphasis on Arithmetic to promote academic diversity, with the following major topics:
- LCM and HCF
- Profit and Loss
- Interest (Simple and Compound)
- Speed, Time and Distance; Time and Work; Averages; Ratio and Proportion and others
- Number System (3-4) questions
- Algebra (5-7 questions)
- Geometry/Mensuration (6-8 questions)
- Pure Math (1-2 questions)
- Venn diagrams and other topic based questions are 2-3
- Linear Equations; Quadratic Equations
- Complex Numbers
- Logarithm; Progressions
- Binomial Theorem
- Surds and Indices
- Permutation and Combination
- Probability Functions
- Set Theory
- Mixtures and Alligations
- Co-ordinate Geometry
If you want to prepare for CAT 2019, then Elites Grid is ready to prepare you for the best. Register now and start learning.